Friday 1 June 2007

Everquest II Diary - Intro

Okay, so I resubscibed to Everquest II. Why would I do that? I played it for a month and while I thought it was alright, it didn't really have a huge pull for me. Reason was, underpopulated server. I had the misfortune of living in the UK and thus I chose to play on an EU server, which frankly was foolish. I levelled one character to 21 and a couple more to mid-teens and never once did I get a full group or run an instance or a dungeon.

Well, I did it because Rise of Kunark was announced for November. Following on from the last expansion discovering the lost continent of Faydwer, the development team have decided to continue the theme of rediscovering old EQ1 content. This is a fairly astute move, actually, as it will serve to bring back older players who may be playing other games (it worked on me), and it also allows really effective areas from the original to appear in EQ2. I personally loved Kunark, as to me it really felt like an ancient world full of history and outlandish creatures. It was also something that many other areas in Everquest weren't - bright. It was full of bright colours and spectacular scenery, and felt really raw and untamed. One of my main quibbles with MMORPGs that try and look 'realistic' is that everything seems so grim and dark. Kunark was full of horrible monsters, true, but it was also full of unkempt creativity and brightness. Them bringing Kunark back is enough to bring me back to EQ2 - but if the expansion pack is poor, it'll be enough to make me quit for good. And there'd better be an Iksar city there, too.

But without further ado, here's my diary of my EQ2 experience. It's easily accessible through the sidebar on the right, in case you hadn't spotted that.